Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Swim Meet


Swimming is not a sport that I have participated. Growing up at a small school without a pool it was not even an option. But it is very much similar to my own personal favorite sport, Track and Field. Having participated in that sport for 11 years I understand that it is an individualistic group sport.
That may seem odd at first, yet if you had the chance to participate in a sport like track or swimming you would understand completely. It is individualistic because preformance is almost solely based on your own performance.
One does not get better simply because he or she is on a great team. Soccer is a great example of a team sport. If your teammates are great than you also will do well because they make you better. (Granted that it may not make you a better player but you could go on and do well in the State) But if everyone but you is great on a track or swim team that does not mean that you will go places with your sport. Now many will argue that great teammates on a track team or swim team will actually make you better. Having been on good teams I understand that they can help push you to do better but they can not take you to States or Nationals because they are good. (Relays excluded because that does sometimes happen) With all that said about swimming and track and field being an individualistic sport. I will say that teams do affect performance and interest in the sport. I love watching and cheering my own team on when at a Track event and I think it is said that Swimmers get even more into cheering their teammates on. Track all by itself would be lonely and hard. The team is what makes some people strive on.
All of that rambling to let you know that these pictures came from a swim meet of a good friend's brother (which I would also call a friend) As a freshman in high school and first year swimming he improved greatly and this was the culmination of his season. From my standpoint I think that he did great and has set himself up well to continue into excellency in the next few years. And I will tell you that he is a man on a mission, a mission to conquer so Grand Rapids and Michigan better be ready.

1 comment:

  1. All the events you've done so far look great! And your "ramblings" are fun to read too. :-)

    ReplyDelete